kansas turns 149 today (and no, i did not stay up until midnight to post this…i usually do a bunch of posts and schedule them for later).
our kansas celebrations this week include making butter to eating zweiback brought by families. its such a simple process, i don’t know why i don’t do it more often.
we used fancy local cream that came in a glass bottle, poured it in another jar and shook, shook, shook.
suddenly you hear a thunk, thunk, thunk and you know the butter is flopping around in there!
we sang happy birthday by “candlelight” (thanks for the inspiration, tom!) and enjoyed our feast.
it’s been a cozy week.
all i could find was a slightly neon-toned yellow paper. we put out yellow crayons and pens to soften the color a bit.
then snowflake style, we offered the preschoolers a paper folded in fourths with one petal shape drawn on.
some thought they worked better as airplanes.
then gluing them around a center and adding an O shape for the middle with a cardboard stem.
our state flower!
we were graced with hundreds of nuts. perfect for lots of sorting, counting, moving and hauling…
a nutty good time indeed. thank you, families.
i was in charge of an intergenerational sunday school time on the topic of the holy spirit. we made these wind catchers to demonstrate that even if you can’t see the wind, you know it is there because the fabric moves. with church and preschool sharing space, we share these now too.
the children are surrounded by streams of color that move with every passerby.
i am surrounded by the reminder that goodness and peace are moving with us.
p.s. to make one you need a panel from old wire shelving units and about 20 thrifted scarves. : )
totally not child-centered (all they did was choose a nut with eyes already hot glued on and an acorn cap for the teacher to glue on).
except for the moment they carry their nut buddy around the room and it enters their play.
we discussed ways that animals adapt to winter and hid some of our nuts to eat at home.
a paper “cave” glued to old mat board, covered with kleenex and paper towels, then nuts hidden inside.
we covered the cave hole with another kleenex.
that way families didn’t know we had nuts in there.
seldom do i set up a project that is so lame that we don’t continue on. don’t get me wrong, almost every project evolves once the children get going with it. what i have in my lesson plans is almost never exactly what we end up doing.
this project was supposed to provide pages and pages of wood-stamped “nuts.”
but the wood pieces didn’t hold much wood for printing or rolling, the paint wasn’t a warm brown-more of a greenish gray, the paper kept tearing. i abandoned it almost immediately.
truly a process-only experience.