i want this (all images from progressive early childhood….i wish i could visit in real life!):
i also want a huge pvc pipe for the kids to roll around in. and huge boulders for the kids to climb on. and a little stream running through the playground.
i am so grateful for what we have. safe equipment, lots of green space, sidewalks for rainy days, big trees…
and for the new rock that will protect while jumping and be loaded in dump trucks.
but seriously, if you are close enough to drop some of this other stuff (logs, tree trunks, slices of tree trunks, tractor tires, an old wooden boat, pvc pipes, a concrete tube…)off on our playground, please do.
thanks for the inspiration and the reminders of what we have.
our playground is complete enough to meet state standards! but the grass will wear down quickly so we are having ground cover installed (after some farm work is complete and the farm trucks are free). there are clusters of church friends who have energy and ideas to make this happen. i am so grateful.
these play structures are not meant to be moved and reinstalled.
it was a lot of work.
but many smiles have been had already.
here we are thanking mr. kevin in person. : )
we’re eager to enjoy hanging out in the space all year long.
for “exercise week” we had an indoor obstacle course set up.
i am glad to announce there were no injuries!
:: :: :: :: :: ::
i want to remember to do this during the winter months when extended outside time is limited.
i decided to use a piece of cardboard and left over orange paper to make a BIG version of our collage carrots (in case that maybe real-maybe not real easter bunny is really hungry).
again, we pretended there were no scissors. again, we used up all the glue we had (for real).
and i should not be surprised that my TTH class thought to dig through the shelves to find orange/green ribbon and lace. i love that!
it wasn’t dry when we left school for easter break, so i am excited to see it finished and shiny from all the glue.
we cut plastic binder dividers into strips, then snipped more, then pressed them on a piece of laminate, then added another piece of laminate on top.
when the pieces of colored plastic would overlap, we would see color blending. beautiful.
actually, i thought of these as wind-catchers, but the preschoolers exclaimed things like, “oh yeah! a kite!”…so they became kites.
the first step was cutting a hole out of the center. any kind of hole. i learned quickly (and should have known!) to poke the scissor through first (thankfully we avoided hurt children).
then was the tricky work of choosing streamers and gluing them on in rainbow order. oh, tricky.
we had beautiful weather these days…great for kite flying.
a big piece of cardboard.
remaining paint from our rainbow stripes.
3+ bottles of glue.
ahhhhhh. color wheel.
oh joy was mine.
we worked left to right following a sample chart of rainbow order to paint stripes.
this was a hard concept to grasp at first.
in order for the paint to dry by the end of the morning, we made prints with another piece of paper.
this was pretty exciting!
then we added a black R….because R is for Rainbow…
and yes, by the end of the week it was a warm chocolate brown.