another year, another web.
this time an elephant came out to play.
our egg carton elephant named ellie.
one elphant went out to play upon a spider’s web one day
she had such ENORMOUS fun that she called for another elephant to come…
two elephants went out to play… (you get the idea!)
:: :: :: ::
then we had some elephants walk on our own paper spider webs.
we were out of yellow and orange paper (such is the end of the school year) and instead of buying more, we made some.
we painted big sheets of yellow paper,
let them dry for two days,
then used them to make suns.
we cut some of the paper into roundish shapes and some of the paper into rectangles.
some of the round shapes had the word “yellow” written on them. you had to put one of those on the top.
some of the rectangle rays had names on them.
the trick was making sure to leave a space for the ray with your name on it!
the collage effect was stunning.
and again, they were proud to have “made” the yellow paper.
someone down the hall donated a stack of yellow notebooks. perfect for yellow week!
the kind of writing that happened was unique and so fun to see.
the “office” expanded quickly from one table to two.
there was only one child who said what i was thinking…
this doesn’t look like water…
we change our water daily and add different things:
yellow food coloring
yellow paint (this makes an opaque yellow
apple scented bubbles
and my favorite of the week: banana extract
we also move the mirrors to different spots. over the water table, next to it, one on each end, etc.
thanks to the good old crafty crow, i found the idea to color play doh with natural items.
“it really smells like food now!”
inside it was y yeek, so we made yellow flowers.
these were tissue paper circles with holes in the center to thread on skewers (cutting off the pointing end first). then a teacher taped the paper and beads were added (secured with hot glue)…. “this is kind of like sewing with wood.” sure it is!
i really can’t explain this because i had nothing to do with it.
but most of the class was involved.
and at the end of the week, i discovered it was all cleaned up.
we cut plastic binder dividers into strips, then snipped more, then pressed them on a piece of laminate, then added another piece of laminate on top.
when the pieces of colored plastic would overlap, we would see color blending. beautiful.
actually, i thought of these as wind-catchers, but the preschoolers exclaimed things like, “oh yeah! a kite!”…so they became kites.
the first step was cutting a hole out of the center. any kind of hole. i learned quickly (and should have known!) to poke the scissor through first (thankfully we avoided hurt children).
then was the tricky work of choosing streamers and gluing them on in rainbow order. oh, tricky.
we had beautiful weather these days…great for kite flying.